Pebble WatchApp / Android
Install the Pebble Glance App from the Google Play store
Install the Glance watchapp from here
If you are struggling to install the watchapp please try using Chrome on Android and going to this website directly.
You may need to move the Android app to your phone storage (not on an SD card) otherwise it may not start on boot correctly (to update weather / unread messages etc)
Launch Android app and then watchapp – the watchapp should show the latest weather forecast for your area.
Android app settings:
- Foreground Service
- On/Off : On can improve performance at the cost of memory use. Off by default.
- Check for watch updates
- On/Off : On will poll the server once a day to see if there is a new watchapp. On by default.
- Check for battery, unread Gmail/SMS : powers the Smartwatch unread message display, turn off if you don’t use that to save power.
- Unread SMS count from Tasker/Intent: Take the unread SMS count from the contents of the intent TASKERMSGC
- Gmail account : will populate with the default gmail account on your Android. Can be overridden if you have more.
- Inbox settings for new Gmail inbox:
- Default: The default inbox or the personal tab in the new inbox
- All New Inboxes: The total of all the new in box tabs (Personal+Social+Promotions…etc)
- Priority Inbox: The priority inbox
- Temperature unit (C/F)
- Frequency of weather updates : Can now be turned off, weather will only update on demand (Middle button from the weather watchapp screen)
- Weather Data Provider: Openweathermap, Yahoo or both (where Yahoo is used for the main watch display and openweather for the detail display as it has more data).
- WatchApp Configuration : Configure how Glance on the Pebble works
- White background: Does what is says for the main watch display
- Top/Longpress : Maps the top button on your Pebble to open one of the Glance screens
- Bottom/Longpress : Maps the bottom button on your Pebble to open one of the Glance screens
- Default Main Screen : Which screen will be the primary watchface (Big Weather, SmartWatch or SmartWatch without Gmail, SmartTime or SmartCal)
- Location Settings
- Override Location : If the location detection is failing, you can override it here by entering latitude,longitude in decimal form, e.g. 40.6893,-74.0446 is the Statue of Liberty
- Location / Emergency SMS Message : Sends a preset message your current GPS location
- Recipient Phone Number: The number to send to in full international form (e.g. +11234567890)
- Message : The message to which the GPS location will be appended
- Data Screens
- UK Train Station Departing/Arriving: UK 3 letter codes for a train station for the departure data screen
- Stocks: Yahoo! Finance instrument codes for the stocks data screen, e.g. GOOG,AAPL,GBPUSD=X
Set Messages / SMS Presets:
- Set the SMS presets for sending from the watch
Main Screen shows time, date and weather in various layouts
Top Button As configured in Android Settings
Middle Button Open main menu
Bottom Button As configured in Android Settings
NOTE: As of 13 Aug, the Music Boss feature is waiting the next release of Music Boss for Pebble.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in beta testing.
SMS Reply Screen
Enables sending of preset SMS messages.
Due to the limitation in message size being sent from Android to the Pebble, recipient and SMS preset list are constrained.
The SMS Recipients now load at two points – when Glance first starts and when a new SMS arrives on Android.
Two main things can go wrong:
1. The Recipients don’t load at start, or are two slow for the impatient.
This should rectify itself – just go out of SMS and back in on the Pebble (which should cause a new SMS load)
2. The newly arrived recipient on an SMS isn’t at the top of the list.
This has happened once to me in testing – it is obviously possible if your Android is busy when the SMS arrives.
In testing most people found the whole SMS experience much faster and more reliable.
There is an issue sending to recipients with special characters (ø,é,ç etc)
I have not yet found a work around for it. Apologies to those impacted.
- Recipient list will populate from phone (last messages)
- Top / Bottom button will highlight recipient
- Middle button to select recipient
- SMS reply presets will populate
- Middle button to send SMS
- Acknowledgement will come as alert
Weather details Screen
Shows events from the next 7 days (approx)
- Screen will populate with next calendar event
- Top / Bottom Button – next / previous event
Shows a watch and three lines of tasker ready text.
To populate the face use the Intent uk.co.finebyte.pebbleglance.TASKERSEND with a String Extra in the format msg:ToGoOnLine1:Line2:Line3
When the face initialises it sends the Intent uk.co.finebyte.pebbleglance.TASKERINIT
When the face stops it sends the Intent uk.co.finebyte.pebbleglance.TASKERSTOP
When a button is pressed it send the Intent uk.co.finebyte.pebbleglance.TASKERKEY with the Extra key sent to TASKERTOP, TASKERMID and TASKERBOT as you would expect
Use uk.co.pebbleglance.TASKERVIBE to make the pebble vibrate
Use uk.co.pebbleglance.TASKERMSGC to set the message count on the SMS counter with an integer extra with the key “VALUE”. In Tasker this would be VALUE:999 where the number you want in the SMS field is 999.
When the face thinks it needs to refresh the message count it sends the Intent uk.co.finebyte.pebbleglance.TASKERMSGCINIT
Julian Starke has kindly provided some Tasker recipies for use with the SMS count here
Christopher Stein has provided a tutorial for using the SMS Count with Google Voice here
NOTE: In Tasker Intents are received in Profile->Event->System->Intent Received and sent in Task->Misc->Send Intent
Christopher Stein wrote some notes on howto use this feature here
Will show the last SMS.
SEL to get next SMS, Long SEL for previous
Will show the next departures as per the UK National Rail website.
SEL to refresh, Long SEL to get return journey (stations are reversed)
Will show the last trade price and the day change from Yahoo! Finance
SEL to refresh
- At the top the Watchapp version will populate when the watchapp first starts
- Install watchapp – gets the latest version of the watchapp from here
- Read Instructions – opens this page
- Settings – open the Settings
- SMS Presets – open the Set Messages settings page
- View Log – opens a Log screen which then allows you to send me some logs if you have problems. Use sparingly!
- Refresh Data – will resend the weather, unread messages and SMS data to Pebble. Just in case.
- Get WatchApp Version – pings the watch for the version.