Download watchapp from here
Android app on Google Play
Better Weather, Faster SMS
Integration with Simply Alarm Holo
New Smartwatch style face (which you can set as the default in the Android Settings)
Big Thanks to all the testers and to Reboots Ramblings for both the Simply Alarm Holo integration idea and some last minute testing!
Updated and Added new weather provider
- OpenWeatherMap to v2.5 (two versions)
- NOT for Music Screen. Anything other than OpenWeatherMap will fail.
Added unread SMS / Gmail / Missed Calls to a new version of the main screen
- SmartWatch shows SMS & Missed Calls & Gmail
- SmartWatch- shows SMS & Missed Calls
- Select in the watchapp menu, or set as default in the Android Settings
- Only Gmail Primary inbox right now. No other email apps, sorry.
Added usage tracking
- Google Analytics – anonymous data on what features are being used
Added foreground service
- See below for notes on performance
Added better crash tracking (Crashlytics)
Added better & more logging
Added better error handling for special characters like ø or ç
- Pebble stil has an issue with sending strings with special characters from Pebble to Android
New SMS App with precaching – should be much faster (see below)
Integration with Simply Alarm Holo
Added “Smartwatch” and “Smartwatch-” screens as above
Added “LightOn” option to allow a simple button to turn on light without activating new screen
Fixed bug in SMS app where the presets wouldn’t appear without hitting a button (screen blank)
This is the last release that will contain the Music Screen.
It will be removed next release.
Please do not report issues with the Music Screen – its legacy.
Notes on Foreground Mode / Performance / Services / Threading
In this version I completely rewrote the service/threading model
All the timed services are now Android Alarms calling stand alone IntentServices (i.e. they are on their own threads)
All events (pebble messages / reconnects) come in as Broadcasts on the main thread and then get sent to a service:
- When in foreground mode they get sent to the foreground service thread for processing
- When not in foreground mode they get sent to an IntentService (i.e. a new thread gets spun up if required)
- The foreground service also acts as a cache which in theory should speed up data access
However I still find that there are delays experienced on occasion:
- Sometimes the intent with the message from Pebble is delayed
- Sometimes the message / intent to the Pebble is delayed
- Sometimes it take an awesome amount of time to access the contacts data provider on Android (many seconds on occasion)
Note that at the level I am working at I can only see intents, not the bluetooth messages themselves so I have no idea if there are delays occurring there.
Notes on SMS Performance and Issues
The SMS Recipients now load at two points – when Glance first starts and when a new SMS arrives on Android.
Two main things can go wrong:
1. The Recipients don’t load at start, or are two slow for the impatient.
This should rectify itself – just go out of SMS and back in on the Pebble (which should cause a new SMS load)
2. The newly arrived recipient on an SMS isn’t at the top of the list.
This has happened once to me in testing – it is obviously possible if your Android is busy when the SMS arrives.
In testing most people found the whole SMS experience much faster and more reliable.
There is an issue sending to recipients with special characters (ø,é,ç etc)
I have not yet found a work around for it. Apologies to those impacted.